Working with Financial Services
Philadelphia Corporation for Aging and the National Adult Protective Services Association are pleased to release National Guidelines for Financial Institutions: Working Together to Protect Older Persons from Financial Abuse.
The Guidelines and forms were introduced at the World Elder Abuse Awareness Day event on June 11, 2019 at the Securities and Exchange Commission designed to promote standardization and clarity among financial institutions and Adult Protective Services. We are asking that all APS programs use this form to request records from financial institutions.
The funds for this project were provided by The Huguette Clark Family Fund for Protection of Elders. The steering committee was led by Joe Snyder, NAPSA Public Policy Committee Chair and Kathleen Quinn, NAPSA Board President and the content was developed and revised by the members: Carrie Chelko, Lincoln Financial Group, Nancy Heffner, Lincoln Investment Planning, Aisling Murphy, The Vanguard Group, Inc., Brad Keeley, The Vanguard Group Inc., Ronald C. Long, Wells Fargo Advisors, Maureen Matson, Lincoln Financial Group and Jennifer Spoeri, Philadelphia Corporation for Aging.
- 2019 Complete Guidelines (includes letters and forms) – Adobe Acrobat
Below are the letters and forms extracted from the Guidelines for ease of use:
- Financial Information Request Form – Adobe Acrobat
- Financial Information Request Form – Microsoft Word
- Letter Requesting Financial Records – Adobe Acrobat
- Follow-Up Letter for Refusal to Release Records – Adobe Acrobat
- Letter Requesting Extension on Disbursement/Transaction Hold – Adobe Acrobat
National Clearinghouse on Financial Exploitation
NAPSA is pleased to host the national clearinghouse for all things related to financial exploitation thanks to generous funding by The Huguette Clark Family Fund for Protection of Elders.
The clearinghouse provides answers to questions, links to resources, introduction to partners, and problem solving to help strengthen our resources and partnerships in our fight against financial exploitation. To submit an inquiry, please click here.
Utilizing a Standard Form to Request Financial Records: Lessons Learned So Far
Presented on August 8, 2017. Participants learned about the standardized form developed by Philadelphia Corporation for Aging, NAPSA and a select group of leaders from APS programs, legal service providers, the government and financial service industry. The exceptions to Federal Privacy Laws will be discussed and tips for working with financial institutions to form a partnership to protect our most vulnerable adults will be highlighted. Panelists from New York and Virginia will discuss their progress and challenges in implementing the form.
- Webinar Recording – Utilizing a Standard Form to Request Financial Records: Lessons Learned So Far
- Slides – Utilizing a Standard Form to Request Financial Records: Lessons Learned So Far
Revised Standard Forms for APS to Request Bank Records
On January 7, 2016 NAPSA and the Philadelphia Corporation for Aging held a webinar for state and local APS administrators on revisions to the forms noted above based on meetings with key stakeholders.
- Webinar on Revised Standard Forms for APS to Request Bank Records – MP3 Audio Recording
- Webinar on Revised Standard Forms for APS to Request Bank Records – Adobe Acrobat Slides